The Junior Software Developer will join a growing team of developers in Glasgow, UK who are developing graphical user interfaces, visualization tools, documentation, tests, and work in all other aspects of scientific code development for both 2D and 3D simulation. The role will involve all areas of the Software development life-cycle with the main focus being the development of new application functionality and maintenance of the current code base. In addition, the candidate will have the opportunity to work with software developers who will help them improve their knowledge and skill set and gain vital experience working in a continuous development environment. Taking on this role will see the candidate join a team of programmers, engineers, and scientists involved in the development of future commercial OnScale software packages that will disrupt the finite element analysis industry.
At OnScale, you’ll join a dynamic, entrepreneurial team of world-class scientists, engineers, and developers focused on building the Future of Engineering. Our team comes from BioMed, Aerospace, IoT/MEMS, RF, and many other engineering disciplines.
Our plan is simple: build the world’s best computer-aided engineering platform. That means developing the best multiphysics solvers, the best optimization algorithms, the best highly-paralyzed Cloud HPC system, the best GUIs/Plugins, etc. We thrive on accomplishment, we move fast as a team, and we’re looking for rockstars to join us.
OnScale headquarters is located in the heart of Silicon Valley, a stone’s throw from some of our biggest and best customers in the BioMed, IoT, RF, and general hardware space. We have a satellite office in the UK where we build GUIs, plugins, web apps, etc. We offer all of the perks of a Silicon Valley high-tech early stage company: competitive salaries, professional development plan and bonuses, equity, and benefits.
- Help improve and develop the OnScale application by completing tasks delegated from software team lead
- Implement software solutions that are maintainable, extensible, and follow best practices for high performance scientific computing software, working in collaboration with team members.
- Document methods and implementation in developer repository, user manuals, and in informal and formal presentations.
- Plan and write automated tests for any new functionality added to the code base.
- Maintain and improve existing software UIs, as well as develop new software.
- Provide daily progress updates, making use of the tools available (JIRA, confluence, Hipchat etc) and via the daily scrum meetings, to the Software Lead in Glasgow
- Report progress to the Cupertino team on weekly update calls.
- Effectively manage technical tasks under demanding timelines.
- Bachelor degree, or higher, in Computer Science, or related technical discipline.
- Understanding of Object-Oriented software design practices and methodologies (templates inheritance, polymorphism, data management etc.)
- Experience in modern graphics rendering techniques and an understanding of the programmable pipeline would be ideal.
- Highly organized with critical attention to detail and strong problem solving skills.
- Positive and self-motivated individual with a willingness to self-teach new and advanced software methods and techniques; coaching and instruction will be provided, but we we’re interested in those who are keen to expand their own knowledgebase.
- Effective verbal and written communication.
- Experience developing in a C-Style Object-Orientated language, preferably C++ with experience utilizing STL.
- Experience with UX/UI design and development experience (utilizing Qt – highly sought after)
- Experience with 3D Visualization Libraries
- Experience with software management tools, such as version control (CVS, GIT etc.)
- Knowledge of Cloud technologies and scripting languages (Python, Java etc.)
- Knowledge of Parallel computing (MPI, OpenMP, and threading)
- Potential 15% Annual Bonus
- 25 days annual leave
- 10 days statutory public holidays
- Auto enrolment in Company pension scheme with company contribution
- Enrolment in Company Healthcare scheme
- Long term disability/income protection insurance
- Perks – Meals/Snacks, Beer Fridays, Lunch-N-Learns
OnScale is an Equal Opportunity Employer
OnScale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to equal treatment of all employees without regard to race, national origin, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, physical or mental disability or other basis protected by law.