August 10, 2021
OnScale Solve now allows users to include the effects of Gravity in the model setup. This can be turned on from under the Mechanical Environment settings, as shown in the below GIF. By default, the value is set to -9.81 m/(s^2) in the Z direction representing the acceleration due to Earth’s gravity.
Why is it important to you?
Often, especially while working with heavy assemblies, it might be important to include the effects of an assemblies’ own weight in the simulations. By simply toggling on the Gravity button, users will now be able to include the effects due to accelerating loads.
July 26, 2021
Dual State Trees:
With this new release, we have made a change to the access and interaction of the Simulation Modeler Tree in the Modeler area of OnScale Solve.
Why is it important to you? This new change allows for easy access to the Model Tree at every stage of the simulation workflow.
Show Mesh – New Global setting to view the mesh:
The “Show Mesh” setting to view the generated mesh in the Simulator section of the Modeler has moved to the settings gear in the bottom right corner with “Show Lighting”
July 7, 2021
OnScale CAD Library:
We implemented a new default CAD Library that has the CAD files for all the tutorials listed in our website.
Why is it important to you? This makes it easy for new users, without CAD files, to try and learn OnScale Solve.
June 25, 2021
Study Validation Warnings and Errors:
With the new release, we have implemented a better warning and error tracking system that provides intuitive feedback to the users on the errors with their model setup.
Why is it important to you?
With Study Validation, you will receive real-time feedback while setting up a study for simulation.
For example, we display a warning sign if a new load you added has 0 magnitude in value. If you don’t add material to a part you’re simulating, you will get a warning message to go back to this critical step.
We have added a feature that allows for the mesh to be deformed while using the Deformation Scale in the Results section.
Why is it important to you?
The visual representation of the deformed mesh provides an intuitive understanding about the nature and extent of different deformations in your model. It also makes for a much cleaner presentation while sharing the results with different collaborators.
Changing/adding new material properties via Scripted Studies will trigger the creation of a new version automatically.
Why is it important to you?
Automatic creation of new versions for model setups with previous simulation results will maintain the versioning integrity in Solve. Even while modifying the code using Scripted Studies, OnScale Solve will recognize the changes made to material properties and auto create a new version if the current version has previous simulation results.
- Fixed a bug where attempting to suppress multiple parts only suppressed a single part
- Fixed a bug where attempting to view a running simulation would fail with a generic error
June 4, 2021
Improved support for complex CAD such as large assemblies:
- Faster interaction and manipulation of CAD geometry with greater than ~100 parts and ~200 faces
- Reduced CAD import times by ~2-5 minutes for larger assemblies
- Start working in the Modeler while processing is completing
- Improved progress and error messages during CAD import
- Improved mesh quality for automated meshing
- Improved mesh granularity for intricate edges
- Improved meshing of very thin and hollow parts
- A new Version is now automatically created when parts are suppressed in a locked Version (a Version is locked when it has simulation results).
- Finer tuned shading and lighting for CAD
- Manipulation performance improvements for both simple and complex CAD
- Better tooltips for fluid flow analysis
- Multi-select support for suppressing parts
- Improved estimation and simulation error reporting
- Improved current study validation errors and warnings for users
- Improved Modal study results viewing experience
- We now list supported CAD file types in the upload screen
- Solve user tips are now shown on the results loading screen
- Use our Quick Guides to apply constraints and loads to parts
- Look and feel, icons, and text styling
May 13, 2021
OnScale Solve CFD
- The internal flow of single-phase fluids
- Imported geometry represents fluid volume, no need to invert a solid part
- Supports branching flow systems with multiple inlets/outlets
- Automated meshing with user-adjustable mesh element size to optimize cost
- Uses “Flow” and “Pressure” boundary conditions which support flow moving in and out of the boundary, no need to limit to inlet vs outlet
- Default fluids are air and water at standard temperature and pressure but density and viscosity can be modified to represent any Newtonian fluid
Why is it important to you? Our easy but powerful Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) is perfect for analyzing flow in pipes and ducts, vascular flows, microfluidics, and related internal flow applications. It enables fast analysis of:
pressure drop vs flow rate; velocity distribution to see speedups and dead zones; volume and mass flow splits in branching systems; impact of fluid properties on results. It will support your design optimization by providing an insight into where pressure losses occur and can possibly be reduced, the ability to see regions of high vorticity/turbulence, and the ability to see flow separations.
OnScale Solve Modal Analysis
- Calculate the modes shapes to understand how your system deforms under dynamic excitation at its natural frequencies
- Get a list of all the natural frequencies that will make your system vibrate as the first output of a modal analysis
Why is it important to you? OnScale Solve produces easy-to-understand mode shapes to help you quickly paint a picture of the vibration characteristics of your project.
April 6, 2021
- Easy Single Sign-on for Solve and Portal Profile.
- Connect to 3rd party CAD tools like Onshape.
- At the Account Management level team leaders can now easily set core hour and HPC controls either globally or per user, and can also monitor core hour spending and allocation.
- Simulation Studies -> view studies / navigate directly to the specific study into Solve application.
OnScale Team Account Plan
- Share Projects with teammates, including simulation models, setup details, and results Internal flow of single-phase fluids.
- Imported geometry represents fluid volume, no need to invert a solid part.
- Supports branching flow systems with multiple inlets/outlets.
Why is it important to you? Collaborate with your team by easily sharing models and simulation results. Spend less time worrying about software license management and more time iterating on designs. Manage team profiles, payments, and core hours.
OnScale Solve Scripted Studies
- Simple and easy to understand Python syntax for model setup
- Access to advanced solver functions
- UI automatically updates to reflect the edited script
Why is it important to you? Build powerful, reusable, parametric scripts. Access advanced solver capabilities and other features not yet available in the UI!
OnScale has updated our Terms and Conditions
Updated Terms and Conditions can be found here.
March 31, 2021
Parameterized Material Properties
- Easily perform parameter sweeps over one or more material properties.
- Combine parameterized sweeps with parameterized loads.
Why is it important to you? You can use parameter sweeps to increase confidence in product performance analysis by representing and accounting for variability in material properties as well as applied loads.
Improved Automated Meshing
- Automated Meshing is now multi-threaded for improved speed while maintaining the same reliability and accuracy.
- Default meshes now conform to all geometric edges for better precision in applying loads and constraints.
Why is it important to you? OnScale’s automated, intelligent meshing generates higher quality meshes in a fraction of the time.
- “Quick Guides” In-App Help for model setup
- Enable / Disable Physics to easily select whether to run Mechanical, Thermal or fully coupled Thermomechanical simulations
- Context-specific toolbars for simplified navigation – only Loads and Constraints appropriate to the enabled Physics are selectable
- Improvements and examples for custom post-processing using Jupyter Notebooks
Why is it important to you? We listen to your feedback every day and we’re working hard to improve the OnScale Solve user experience. Keep it coming!